Friday, April 8, 2011

Ignorance is Strength! The torture of Bradley Manning

Bradley Manning himself describes the experience of being stripped naked at night and made to stand for parade in the nude, a condition that continues to this day. "The guard told me to stand at parade rest, with my hands behind my back and my legs spaced shoulder-width apart. I stood at parade rest for about three minutes … The [brig supervisor] and the other guards walked past my cell. He looked at me, paused for a moment, then continued to the next cell. I was incredibly embarrassed at having all these people stare at me naked."
Description of Torture by Bradley

While many like to point to Obama's successes -- repeal of DADT, the health care bill -- and assert that the man cannot solve all of the world's problems, in reality this is beside the point. Obama explicitly promised protection for federal whistleblowers yet he locks Manning up for exposing the wrongdoings of the armed forces. As Commander in Chief, Obama has the ability to stop the inhumane treatment of a U.S. citizen who is still awaiting trial. The question now is, will he?
Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment